Ever since I started this whole crafting hobby, I have wanted to make Mike something really nice. Something he could use on a regular basis. He always gives me little projects to do for him, like patching a sweatshirt, or sewing a hole in his jeans pocket. However, it always seems that I never get around to it. His sweatshirt has has a little rip in it, and he can no longer carry his wallet in his back pocket because of how big the hole has gotten. It just seems to me that all the little projects take a bit of time, and produce little satisfaction when I am done with them. And it doesn’t help that you all might get more than a little annoyed if all I posted were little mending projects.
So, the other night when I had a bit of extra time, did I tackle all the little projects Mike has been kindly asking me to do for the last year? Um, no. I made him a shirt instead. Luckily the shirt turned out very well and he is very happy with it. I used the basic t-shirt pattern from Burda Style, which was very easy to put together, though it doesn’t really come with instructions, just the pattern cut outs.
To sew this, I started by sewing the front and back together at the shoulders. I then pinned the sleeves onto the shirt, and sewed them together. Then I sewed along the sides of the shirt, starting at the end of the sleeves,and going all the way down to the bottom of the shirt. The last thing I did was hem the sleeves, bottom, and neck. I don’t have a serger, so I didn’t serge the fabric edges, but they seem to be holding up well so far.
I plan on doing some cool design on the front of it. Actually, I planned on doing it last night, but no fusible interfacing. Oh well. Maybe this weekend. I just hope the shirt won’t suffer the same fate as the jeans and sweatshirt.